Wednesday, June 09, 2010

Critique in College Park

I am currently reading Joe Sacco's 'Footnotes in Gaza' a sort of follow up to his previous book 'Palestine' This is more centered around a particular incident when the Israelis killed a few hundred young men in Gaza in the mid-fifties. Like in his previous book, Sacco is a little biased against the Israelis but he has acknowledged this, so I think I can let that slide.


The art is in his usual style, and is very impressive, and he has the talents of a good writer, making this a great book to read, especially if you want to know how life in the Gaza strip is. It's got the same horror/sob stories meant for you to be able to sympathize with the plight of the refugees. This is a bit sensationalist but then again, maybe all he is doing is telling it like it is.

Just to give you a taste of his meticulously drawn art.

I like reading this stuff because it makes me feel like I am there, and since the possibility of my actually going to Gaza is pretty slim, this is the best I can do. I feel like a voyeur :)
I think it speaks to my desire to experience the world and see the myriad cultures that inhabit it. It's a crying shame that I will never get to do it. Oops there I go again, trying to turn this post into another one of my existential rants. Which is funny because I remember back in my engineering undergrad days when I would anonymously post stuff on our online message board and people would ask me why I keep turning everything into an existential soliloquy.

There is nothing more 'intelligent' that I can say about this so I will leave it at that.

No comments: