Saturday, June 16, 2007

Who dares do more is none

It has been a while since I have posted. I hope that at least this post should invoke a comment or two, thereby rendering my blog, at the least; not useless

Let us assume a hypothetical situation where a man says, and I quote:

"Men are better managers than women as they are conditioned to handle all kinds of difficulties at home and at the work place, and a man who succeeds in his profession gives more to society than a woman."

Highly sexist wouldn't you think ? Would you call this man ignorant? maybe even a self-centered, stupid, and shameless MCP ? for doesn't this kind of rant merit such a harsh label ?

Come on now, If I were reading this and I were a woman, I would be seething with rage, at this tasteless insult on my kind. Who does this guy think he is? I would ask. Does he not have a mother ? etc etc...

However, now that you've had some time to ponder on this statement, I would like to reveal a little secret. If you look at the 14 June 2007 edition of "The Hindu" on page 4, you will find an article named "Women are better managers: S***a M****y" from where I shamelessly lifted the quote, and published it here, albeit after inverting the gender.

So the actual quote goes :

"Women are better managers than men as they are conditioned to handle all kinds of difficulties at home and at the work place, and a woman who succeeds in his profession gives more to society than a man."

And this was uttered by the wife of a very prominent entrepreneur. Now my question to those willing to answer is: Would you pass the same judgment on a woman, who should speak as such, as we did on the hypothetical man ? and do you think either of the quotes holds true ?

I know there are more things that I do not agree with in the quote, for example; I detest society which in my view is a scourge, keeping human beings from being their best (I can see Nietzsche turning in his grave). But this(post) is not to pass a judgment on me or my character, so forget what I think.

A foot note for those of you still reading:

Later in the article comes the following:

[sic]

She urged women to "create professional space" for themselves by articulating their ideas and opinions whether they were right or wrong because this was the only way to have a role in the decision making process.

I have no words for this.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read this post ... but no comments ;-)

JerryKantrell said...

I aint no fascist.
You are free to do as you like, though I dont believe in 'Free Will'