Friday, May 16, 2008

Holy Christ!

But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams.

- Excerpt from 'Aedh wishes for the Cloths of Heaven' by W.B Yeats

Now, Christian Bale has been my favorite actor ever since I saw 'American Psycho', a fact reinforced after I saw 'The Machinist' and 'Batman Begins', Christian Bale is so cool, that he probably melts the face off of ordinary people, thus requiring him to go out only at night, or so I hope.


Christian Bale's kitten, Purring.

So anyway, when I learned about this 2002, Kurt Wimmer sci-fi flick called 'Equilibrium' featuring my favorite scenario: A bleak Dystopian Future with Christian Bale kicking ass, I knew that I had to watch.

The film's plot is highly reminiscent of Orwell's 1984 and Huxley's BNW and may be thought of as an adaptation, yes. That fact however does not take the sheen off the movie because the aspect of the movie that is really worth discussing are the action scenes.

I am not a fan of action, For example; I loved Matrix for its in-depth philosophical themes, I felt the action scenes were unnecessary distractions, but in Equilibrium, the scenes are truly awesome, they use a special fighting technique called Gun Kata, which allows them to rapidly increase their accuracy and efficiency by statistical study of fight sequences, you will have to watch the movie to see.

The film's climax had me jumping on my bed, waking up my neighbors with my ceaseless shouts of 'Yeah Batman, kick that sorry motherfuckers ass, blow his face out woo hoo!' and so on...

So, go ahead and watch it, I am gonna watch it again, today :)

The above mentioned poem is referenced in the movie.


--------------------------

Snap courtesy Here

No comments: